"Nothing makes us feel this way, we choose to give in to such feelings"
How many of our obstacles, our problems, and our challenges today are based solely on our perception? In the new book on my reading list, The Obstacle is the Way by Ryan Holiday (see The Ego is the Enemy), the opening chapter starts with this idea. Our perception of a situation is what determines the severity of it. If we can turn an obstacle into a learning experience then it isn't an obstacle any longer.
Ryan outlines 8 steps for how to use our perception the correct way when facing obstacles:
- Be objective - don't let feelings or emotions crowd your thoughts and judgments
- Control emotions & keep an even keel - similar to above, emotions can't rule your perception
- Choose to see the good in the situation - this is a hard one as it may be tough to see the good in all situations
- Steady our nerves - hold fast and stay strong, don't get scared
- Ignore what disturbs or limits others - cryptocurrency crashing? Markets failing? Ignore what scares others
- Place things in perspective - will that small thing today matter tomorrow?
- Focus on what can be controlled - at the end of the day, we can only really change what we can control
Post inspired from: The Obstacle is the Way by Ryan Holiday.